Hello, all!
Wow, I can't believe it has been a week since I got on here. We were so busy this week though...less spare time than usual even!
Ben did great in school this week. Still visually stimming, but we sent his own baseball cap with him to school and he kept that on better than the one they used last week. They said it seems to help block out the overhead lights and makes it harder for him to fixate on them.
We are getting more potty training signs! He sat on the potty at CHIP unprompted!! He did so twice at home as well (both times he looked down to make sure his pants were still on though.) :o) This morning, after filling his diaper, he took Jeremy to the basket where we keep the diaper stuff and got the wipes and diaper out and handed them to Jeremy!! He will occasionally give an indication that he wants a diaper change, but nothing that exact! Woo hoo!! It's a start anyway! Unfortunately, he will not let us put pull-ups on him. He locks his legs up and he is strong! I'm going to send some to school next week though and they will try there.
I had a conference with his therapists yesterday. Jeremy had to stay home with Ben as Uncle Jeff was suppose to watch him but got stuck for overtime. Still, the meeting went well. We mostly talked about getting ready for the next step after CHIP. We seemed to all be on the same page as far as Ben's needs. So, we'll start checking out different facilities and see what is out there and what we can afford. I did find out that our co-pay for outpatient therapy is less than I thought. I just have to make sure they will cover it for an "autism" diagnosis. Believe it or not, many insurances won't even cover traditional therapy for autism. Sigh.
I was happy to hear that they have all noticed Ben vocalizing WAY MORE lately! We have seen this at home as well. Michelle (speech therapist) said that he consistently tries to repeat words when asked and often vocalizes spontaneously. I pray this is the beginning of some real talking!!!
We went to Dr. Steppe today (osteopath who does craniosacral type stuff on him.) I love that lady. She is so positive and always so excited to see his progress. I always feel good leaving there. She is also very curious and does lots of research for us (this month she talked about vitamin D...a very hot topic right now.) We really like her. And, Ben likes her too. It is amazing to me that he lets her mess with him the way she does! They were literally rolling around on the floor together today as she "adjusted" him. So funny and cute.
Did any of you watch the inaugural stuff this week? I watched much of it throughout the day on Tuesday at my patients' houses. I have to say, it took on even more meaning for me because of this. At my first house, the patient's home health aide was from Kenya. This was the first election process she has experienced in the United States. She was so excited and thankful to be witnessing our great democracy in action! Around noon I was with another patient who graciously invited me to stay after her session so I could see the actual swearing-in. She is African-American and told me how important it was to her to experience this historic event "before she meets her creator..." (As far as I know, she isn't going anywhere just yet though!) :o) Anyway, I enjoyed watching some of the festivities in the evening as well. I was especially moved by Beyonce singing "At Last" for the first ball dance. Absolutely beautiful.
On a much less happy subject, I learned yesterday that a former patient of mine experienced a terrible tragedy this week. His family's home caught fire and his young niece and nephew were killed. They were only 7 and 10 years old, and were the sweetest and funniest kids. They were always curious of what I was doing with their uncle and would often "help" me when I was there. It is such an incomprehensible tragedy. They are a wonderful family, and have already seen much difficulty in their lives. Please pray for them.
Well, I'm sure there are things I'm forgetting to write about...it's been a long week. But, my eyes are crossing so I think I'll go relax for a bit.
God Bless you all!
Julie



No comments:
Post a Comment