Hello, all!!
Well, we had a GREAT weekend with the DeArmons!!! Ben did really well for the most part!
As I expressed in previous posts, I was worried about how Ben would sleep away from home. He did really well. We brought his mattress and bedding from home and I think that helped with the transition quite a bit. He was excited to see it set up and knew it was his sleeping space. We didn't lay him down until after 8:30 Friday night and it took him a little while to fall asleep, but he slept well even with the window open and kids outside playing. He woke kind of early the next morning, so he was tired and a little zoned most of the day. But, Saturday night he went right to sleep and slept in a little the next morning. So, Sunday was much better for the most part. Both mornings he woke excited to still be at Nana and Papaw's house!
Ben also did really well with all the family around...at least for the most part!! There were just a few times that he had some difficulty tolerating everything, mostly when he was tired and overheated (it was so hot this weekend and he did lots of running around.) At these times, we just had to take him out of the room and give him time to settle himself...didn't take much. I also think the listening therapy helped quite a bit.
Ben was really cute with his baby cousin, Sarah!! He would give her kisses and lay his head on her. So sweet and so gentle. Only once did he grab her cheeks to turn her head so he could reach her lips for a kiss! Oops!
Ben also did pretty well with cousin Micah (who is his age). He was so excited to see him. They ran around all excited...until they ran smack into each other and bumped heads. Then Ben wasn't so happy! After that he was a little more hesitant around Micah, but still did pretty well. I even saw him watch Micah play with a new toy and imitate what he did...really good!!
On Sunday, some extended family and friends stopped by after dinner, including cousin Gabe (4 yo) and cousin Autumn (18 mo.) Ben was a little disconnected by that point, but still did pretty well tolerating all the people. He even posed for pictures with Micah on Uncle John's motorcycle!!
So, all in all Ben had a great weekend. So did we!! His being a little more comfortable in his surroundings made it a lot easier for us to enjoy visiting with the family. It was so nice! I especially enjoyed my time with Mom D. and my sisters-in-law...we needed to catch up on our girl talk!!
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I have awesome in-laws. They are all so supportive, caring and accepting of our situation. I just love them all to pieces. Mom D. is so considerate and works so hard when we are there...making sure we all have what we need, including accommodations for those of us who have special diets. And Dad D. is talented enough to grill awesome Julie/Pam-friendly steaks! [How blessed we are on both sides of the family!]
We went to Dr. Steppe on Friday before we left for Elyria. That lady is amazing. I wonder if she'd let me video tape a session sometime. Ben comes out of there a changed boy...always some of our best days. Maybe that is partially why he was so interactive and attentive on Friday with the family (more so than the other two days.) Anyway, Dr. S. said that they have made great progress on his right temporal/parietal overlap. Now she is going to concentrate more on the flat spot on the back of his melon. (Craniosacral adjustments for those of you new to the blog.) He tolerates her messing with his head so well...hope it keeps up cause I really think it helps!
Today I stayed all day at CHIP, and what a great day it was! Our social worker and her boss came out to observe Ben and to see the facility. I think they were pretty impressed with CHIP, as well as with Ben's progress! (Neither have seen Ben since last summer.) I have to say, I was a little impressed with Ben myself. I saw BIG progress in him since the last time I stayed the day (about two months ago)!! He was so much more attentive and aware of what was going on around him. He actually participated in and enjoyed all the activities. And he has come SO far in ABA...he is flying through his programs.
Jeremy and I are supposed to meet our social worker Friday to discuss our future plans. I look forward to getting her input on the situation!
One of the paraprofessionals mentioned to me today how much healthier Ben seems. I was really happy that someone else noticed that. He really is much healthier. While I do not credit the allergy/biomed stuff entirely for his progress, I really do believe it is a strong factor. I just think he feels a lot better than he used to...and that makes him a lot more open to the therapy he receives.
One last note. Patty changed Ben's listening therapy music today back to a CD we tried a few months ago (with lyrics). Funny, I mentioned to my sister-in-law this weekend that I thought he was ready to try that CD again, then Patty suggested it first thing Monday! It's like you can feel when it is time for a change. Anyway, it is a little "busier" than his other music. I think it was too much for him before, but today he seemed to enjoy it. I am really intrigued by the listening therapy. I can definitely see the impact it has on Ben. I just finished a book that Patty lent me called "When Listening Comes Alive." It is a great book for anyone interested in trying therapeutic listening.
Ok, I'm finished now. I knew this was going to be a long post! I'm spent!
I'll try to get some pictures posted this week...so many to go through! My sisters-in-law may have some posted already...their sites are linked on my sidebar.
Hope all is well with everyone else!
Love,
Julie



No comments:
Post a Comment