Sunday, May 3, 2009

Flying Cars and B-12 Shot Breakthrough!

Hello all!!

It's been a great week! I'm loving this weather! A few stories to share...

The other day I tore up the house looking for Ben's current top 3 favorite toy cars. I moved furniture, called Jeremy to see if he hid them, looked everywhere. Finally, I gave up and got him playing with something else. The next morning Jeremy, Jeff and I were on the porch talking when they got home from work, and I noticed a car sticking out of the bushes. It was one of the 3 MIA cars. A quick search turned up the other two. I was puzzled as we have not played in the front yard all week. Finally Jeff said, "I wonder if he threw them out his window, it looks like the screen is pushed out!" So he had me do a "re-enactment" to see where they landed. Sure enough, they landed almost exactly in the same spots we found them in. :o) So, Ben must have chucked them out earlier in the week when we had the windows open. I would have loved to see the look on his face when he saw them roll down the roof! :o) Jeff said he felt like Mythbusters...solved another mystery!

The B-12 shots are going WAY BETTER!!! I rethought the whole process and reminded myself that Ben does much better with things if we aren't sneaky about what we are doing. So, I showed him the shot and a bag of GFCF mini chocolate chips and said "Look, it is time to do your shot. If you let me do it, I'll give you chocolate." He whined a little bit, but climbed up on the couch and let me do the shot! He even stayed still so I didn't have to hold him down. Then he popped up, smiled, and put his hand out for the chocolate! That was Friday. He did the same thing today with even less whining. He even seems interested in the process. He likes to watch the shot go into his skin and today wanted to hold the shot when we were finished. So, I put the cap back on and let him inspect it. He smiled and gave it back then put his hand out for his chocolate. :o) It's such a little bit of chocolate (about 4-5 mini chocolate chips) that I can live with him having it every other day. Makes the whole experience so much easier for all of us! Woo hoo! I pray it continues!

I really think the shots are helping. He seems so much more alert and aware of his surroundings. His receptive language is improving so much and he is making different sounds. I pray this progress continues!!!

His yeast issues are starting to stabilize too, I think. So soon we'll be ready to start the next step...the DMSA. I may try adding cod liver oil first though. We'll see.

I think I mentioned that we started a new music last week. This CD has lyrics, and is more stimulating for Ben. So we have to keep him busy with appropriate visual tasks while he listens, othewise he stims. So far, the stims don't persist after the music, so I think he is tolerating it well. It is very energizing for him!

Michelle, our social worker, came to chat with us Friday. She went through our options with us. It went pretty well. We are going to go observe a different preschool classroom than the one we saw last year. This one is still all special ed (no typical peers), but the children all have different disabilities so many talk and are socially age-appropriate which would be good for Ben. Also, the teacher is really experienced in autism and sensory stuff. We are looking into other options as well though. For instance, if we choose a "typical" daycare or preschool in the area, the county's therapists will provide out-patient therapy as well as support at the daycare/preschool (helping them develop a visual schedule and all that.) Also, Michelle said that if we change his official diagnosis with the county to ASD, we may be eligible for a stipend of $200/month. (However, we may be just over the income requirement for that...she's looking into it.) So, we have some things in the works. Most likely whatever we decide on will include CHIP in some way (at least ABA). Patty said they will have a parent meeting to go over our options once they get it all worked out. So, I'll keep you all posted on that.

Well, time to go play with my little monkey! Hope all is well with everyone!

Love,
Julie

PS - I'm still working on the pictures from last weekend...will be posted soon hopefully. It's just been too nice to sit in front of the computer for long!

No comments:

music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

blog design