Hey, all!
Ben has still been doing really well, despite having a little cold over the weekend. He still has a cough that seems to get worse when he gets outside in the cold air. (Another good reason we need sunshine!) But, he is doing great. Still chatty, making new sounds, very happy and affectionate, a little less fidgety than usual, and just a lot of fun!
We went to the mall on Saturday. I had the wagon in my car because the original plan was to go to the zoo. But, instead of dragging that huge thing in, I thought we would just get one of the mall's strollers which used to be free. HA! They are now $7 to RENT!!!! I couldn't believe that! They are neat firetruck ones that I of course pointed out to Ben while in line, but I still couldn't bring myself to pay that...especially because we didn't plan on being there for long. I said "sorry, buddy you are going to have to walk." I expected a fit, but instead he grabbed my hand and WALKED AROUND THE ENTIRE MALL!!! CALM AS CAN BE!! This may not sound like much to some, but he NEVER would have done that in such a stimulating environment before (the mall on a Saturday? CRAZY!) He is always good at such places, but usually needs to be safely tucked into a stroller, grocery cart, wagon or our arms. He was so good though. Even when we watched Stephanie try on prom dresses, he just sat in the corner with Noah looking around. Just so calm, not fidgety like he usually is. He really seemed to enjoy the whole experience, especially the Disney Store where he saw all his favorite characters. (Of course, he got most attached to a pink shopping cart that he pushed around the store and tried to take off with!)
Earlier that morning, we stayed with Noah while Jen and Steph went to the UT open house, as I mentioned in my last post. Ben was so into Noah! He got all the cars out, but never really played with them. He was more interested in trying to get Noah to play chase with him. Noah at one point said (smiling) "he keeps hugging me!"
:o) Great weekend. And, all this when he had a cold and wasn't feeling his best!
I really feel like the new yeast protocol is making a difference. I'm excited/nervous to start the B-12 shots next weekend. I pray they help him, and don't cause a regression. I also pray for the strength to stick my baby with that needle every couple days without traumatizing him!!
This afternoon after school we have a diagnostic at the University's outpatient speech clinic. If/when we are accepted, Ben will get 2 one hour long sessions per week of speech therapy with a graduate student for only $265 per semester (24-26 sessions.) That is quite inexpensive compared to other places (even when our insurance covers it) and I've heard really good things about them. And, Michelle, Ben's speech therapist at CHIP is involved in overseeing the program. So, I'm hoping that Ben will do well today despite it being late in the day and after a long day at school. I'm also praying that we will get into their summer session! They take patients as they have availability for a certain patient population (they seek to get a good mixture of patients for their students.)
Ben was diagnosed around this time of year in 2007. Easter was not fun that year. But, it was last year and I'm really looking forward to it again this year!! We have lots of fun things planned including an Easter egg hunt on Friday at Amick's house (little man from CHIP.) They have been practicing at school, so I hope all the children have fun with it.
I'm finally starting to feel a sense of peace in all this. We still have a long way to go in our fight against autism, but I feel like we can deal with it now. This is a feeling that seemed impossible to me two years ago. We still have our days...but the overall sense is that we are going to kick autism in the booty!! :o) [You'll get there too, Kris!]
I miss having a church to call home. I think Ben is getting to the point where he'll do ok in the nursery while we attend services. So, we need to check some more out. With Jeremy being baptist and me being raised Catholic, we really would like to attend a non-denominational Christian church. But, there are a lot of, well, "unusual" ones out there as we've found out. I've been to the church I grew up in with my mom a few times and it just isn't the same. So, the search is on. Can anyone in Toledo area make a recommendation?
Well, I'm going to go get myself out of my pj's! Jeremy took Ben to school this morning and should be back soon. We are just going to spend the day together...and ignore all the things that need to be done around the house!!
I'm sure I'll have new pictures to post after the weekend...long over due. These ones have been up forever!
Love to everyone!
Julie



4 comments:
Ahhh the great church search is on, eh??? ;)))) Been there lived that one!!! My # 1 advice from someone who was so ready to give up on finding a church family to call "home"...keep looking. Keep on and you will find one that just swallows you both up. It's funny you mentioned that, actually at our church they have posted an article about a kid with autism who just blossomed through his church family's love and support. I would love for you guys to find a place like that for your family. We will be praying with you!! I will even ask around for some church ideas for you. I know tons of people. ;)
I'm so excited with you about all of Ben's progress. I've said it before, and I will say it again You are my Hero Julie!! You guys are so awesome with him. Keep it up!!
Julie and Jeremy,
Such great news to hear Ben's wonderful progress. You've worked so hard with him and you all deserve it. Best of luck on the church search. I only know of Catholic ones in the area, but haven't been as active myself either!!
Great post!!
Colleen
Such great news about our precious
little Benjamin!!!!!!
To walk the mall was a huge step for that little guy!!!!!!
This may be the first time that you have been able to have a sense
of peace in all this, but you and
Jeremy have been TROUPERS from the very beginning!!!!!!!!!
I know it is hard when searching
for a church, but don't get discourged, you will find the right one!!!!
I'll be praying for you!!!
Lots of love to all,
Mom
It's wonderful that Ben is doing so great! The walk around the mall is amazing!!! I totally get it, and it is a HUGE accomplishment. I've been on a church search myself, but the twins aren't ready for the nursery yet so it would be just me until they are futher along in their recovery. I found one that I liked, but I'm not sure if it's close to you. I'll send you the info by email. Keep up the wonderful work!!!
Post a Comment