Friday, July 11, 2008

B12 Shot!

Ok, so we have to start giving Ben B12 shots. Fun, right? As I posted previously (I think), the nitrous oxide used in his ear tube surgery depletes B12. Plus, Ben is already deficient in B12. So, Dr. L. convinced me it was time to start the shots. (B12 is supposed to help with language development, social awareness, etc. in children with autism...not all, just some.)

Well, I decided this morning would be a good day to start since we don't have school for 3 days and hyperactivity may increase in the beginning with the shots. So, Jer gets home and we look up stuff on the internet, fret that we didn't get the anesthetic cream, give each other shots for practice, discuss our tactic, and on and on... So, the moment of truth comes. Jeremy decides to hold Ben so I can give the shot. I'm shaking and nervous (I'm not squimish, and I didn't mind giving Jer one, but I did not want to stick my baby!). I finally just stick it in his tush and it is over in like 2 seconds. He didn't even flinch! I don't even think he knew it happened. We got ourselves all worked up and freaked out for months about this, and he didn't even care. (Thank goodness we didn't spend $80 on the anesthetic cream for nothing!) So, let's pray it is this way every 3 days when I give him the shot! (It may be a little more difficult on the days Jer isn't home...)

Anyway, Jeremy said he didn't feel the shot I gave him either. Mine hurt a little, but he gave it to me closer to muscle. So, that's that. It wasn't nearly as bad as the anticipation...but, then again, whatever is??

Well, I'm going to go take a nap. Ben was up at 5:30am this morning and is asleep now.

Love to you all!
Julie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering today what you had decided about the B12 shot?
I think you are wise in giving it!
Very thankful that Benjamin accepted it so well!!!!!

Enjoy your weekend with your little guy!!!!

Love,
Mom

Pam said...

Ahhh, Julie. HUGS!! I don't know if I could do it. :o(
You guys are THE most awesome parents. EVER.
love you.

music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

blog design