Hello, all.
Ben got a "Super Star Student" award today at school! Here's the story in a nutshell...
This morning I asked Heidi to add an "assertiveness program" into Ben's ABA. I want him to fight back a bit when a kid takes a toy from him. I don't want him to be mean, but he needs to learn not to be bullied. Heidi suggested we show him how to pat his chest (as if to sign "mine") and say "mine" when we do it. Well, he must have learned quickly. Heidi said another kid tried to snatch a toy from Ben today and he yelled "MINE" while emphatically patting his chest! She said it was loud and could be heard throughout the gym! (Ben rarely speaks let alone yells.) He did it again later in the gym, but not as loud. We are very proud of our little assertive man. :o)
She's also added a program for him to say "hi" and "bye". They are having staff get down to Ben's eye level and say "Hi, Ben" or "Bye, Ben" with each change in staff between activities. Then, if Ben doesn't do it on his own, they are helping him to return the greeting (hand over hand if necessary.) We are trying to carry this over at home. So, when you see Ben, please try to do the same!!
We are sad to learn that one of Ben's friends is leaving CHIP. Tommy is so very cute and will be greatly missed. But, his family found an environment that is better suited to his needs, so we wish them the best of luck and hope to keep in touch!
Well, I'm going to go flip through the paper while Jeremy finishes up Ben's bath...unfortunately, I'm still on Sundays paper, so it probably won't be enough time to get caught up!
God bless you all!
Julie
PS - I finished Christmas shopping today! Woo hoo! Now I have A LOT of wrapping to do!



1 comment:
We always knew our little guy was a super star, way to go BEN!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment