(Posted on the Yahoo list that is exclusively for his patients' families.)
Dear Patients,
This is Dr. Stewart. I have been following the discussions that some of you are having online. To my dismay, there is a great number of rumors and concerns that I would like to put to bed regarding these issues.
I have become aware of your concerns regarding two ingredients in the new lotion, namely, propylene glycol and PEG 8-Stearate. These two ingredients that you are concerned about are ingredients that produce a smooth texture and provide stability to the lotion and are found in almost all cosmetics, shampoos, hand sanitizer, soaps, etc. It should be noted that the other ingredients in the lotion represent less than 1% of the contents of the lotion. Additionally, most of the bases that compounding pharmacies utilize for production of lotions also contain these common, FDA approved ingredients.
Secondly, I have heard of the children that seem to be regressing on this lotion. This in fact is exactly what we expect. Symptomatic regression only indicates that we are altering and usually improving the information being sent to the brain. Therefore, most of you that have seen me and are familiar with the process understand that when we begin to resolve the sensory organ inflammation, the child begins to receive a significantly greater amount of information for the brain ( i.e. overload). This change in quantity of information creates a syndrome state that is termed "regressive healing". With the children we have seen this week who were worse symptomatically, there testing showed a significant improvement following the introduction of the new lotion. It appears that the new lotion may be more effective than the previous lotion and affects a more rapid change in the system. I would encourage you to be patient and I believe you will see more rapid improvement than before using the lotion. If you have concerns, I would welcome a visit by the concerned parents and we will verify their status with a SensoryView test.
Thirdly, we will not be limiting the production of lotion through People's Pharmacy. People's has always been a great supporter of our work and has treated our patients with the utmost professionalism. The new lotion was only created to attempt to reduce the overall cost of treatment and to allow families to supplement their children without having to obtain a prescription.
Lastly, due to your concerns regarding the PEG 8 stearate and propylene glycol, I have contacted Neurobiologix and the manufacturer and asked that they begin to look at a formulation that would omit these two ingredients from the current formula without compromising the stability of the lotion. I see no significant risk to the majority of patients with the current levels of these ingredients, however, there may be some concerns for patient that are ultra-sensitive to chemical and toxin challenges. I will certainly keep you informed if there are any further issues and updates on the revised formula.
Please remember that all quality products take time and careful formulation to meet pharmaceutical standards that are created by the FDA and the medical community.
As a Spectrum Specialist/Physician and a parent, I would never recommend or use a product that I felt contained toxins or products that could be detrimental to your children unless I felt it was safe and can be a vital tool for recovery.
Sincerely,
Kendal Stewart, MD



No comments:
Post a Comment