Hello!
I'm not even going to apologize for lack of updates yet again...just going to get right to it!
We had a 3 month follow up with Dr. Stewart last week. IT WAS VERY ENCOURAGING!!!!!! The first thing Dr. S said to us was "I give him about a 90% chance of normalizing." :o) Jeremy and I were literally speechless! We knew he was improving, but we were not ready for that! (I'm still cautiously optimistic...can't help it.)
Anyway, here is a breakdown of the visit:
*Dr. S seemed to remember us well and knew Jeremy wasn't there last time, so he gave him an overview of our first visit.
*He showed us Ben's test results and noted that there were marked improvements across the board. This indicates that Ben's viral inflammation is almost gone! He told us to keep him on the antivirals until Christmas break to make sure we get it all. At that point, we will try to take him off. He said if there is regression, to put him back on until our next appointment (in February.)
*He told us that at this point all we do is keep up with the B12/folinic lotion and let his nerves heal...this protocol is working for Ben. He said that it will take a while for him to catch up, but that typically they see kids start developing and a fast rate (about 1 year ever 4 months.) [Sidenote, the lotion is available over the counter now on www.neurobiologix.com! It is much cheaper at about $27/month now. Dr. S said he is trying to get it under $20/month as it is a long-term supplement and he wants it to be affordable and easier to get.]
*He reiterated that Ben should not have any more vaccines. Dr. S is NOT anti-vaccine, and he does not believe they are always the cause of autism. But, he does believe that the shots triggered Ben's neurological issues. He also again suggested that we have any future children tested before we vaccinate.
*I asked him about the mitochondrial support supplement that he mentioned last time. He said that he does believe that it will help Ben(low muscle tone is one of many indications of mito dysfunction.) So, we will add that in as soon as it is available (they ran out!)
*He told us to get a scooter or skateboard for Ben (we got him one for his bday!) This will help develop his balance and strength as his body heals.
*He told us about a trial he is doing for a sports company. They are testing balance bracelets. Dr. S. said most of these are a "bunch of huey" but that he found these to actually be working with athletes and with kids on the autistic spectrum. He explained how they work to me, but honestly it fell right out of my head! Anyway, we tried the bracelet on Ben and Dr. S. reran the balance test (free of charge). Ben improved in every category after having the bracelet on for just 3 minutes. He loves the thing, we call it his "super power bracelet." So, we figured what the heck, and we bought it! The company sells them to patients at cost in exchange for having access to the test results. So, it was cheap and maybe we'll help with their research. [This week at school, Ben went on the trampoline by himself for the first time, and went in the ball pit for the first time...coincidence?]
*We go back again in February. Dr. S wants to see how he does off the antivirals. Hopefully, if all goes well, we will be able to spread the visits out more.
The whole thing was very positive! Dr. S. smiled at Ben and said "look how happy he is, he didn't even notice me last time. This is why I'm doing this." :o)
We have already noticed great changes in Ben...so have other people. He is more interactive and responsive, happier, more willing to try new things, and more active. He is also talking more (has some understandable words!) and is signing spontaneously for things. I have to give credit to Capable Kids for that though...they are AMAZING!! I think it is the prefect environment for Ben right now! VB is awesome, and his therapists believe that the use of language has finally "clicked" for Ben. Very encouraging!! They are no longer using PECS picture cards with him...strictly verbal and sign language!
Well, that's all I have for now! Ben's been sick and kept me up a lot last night. So, I hope this post makes sense! [This is the first time he's been sick in months so I don't mind!]
I will try to keep everyone posted on what's going on...I'm getting lots of questions and am happy for the interest! I do better about updating Facebook because it is quicker. So, if you haven't yet, friend me on there under Julie Sahadi DeArmon! Also, I am always more than willing to talk to people about what we are doing with Ben. I'm not an expert, and I don't like to push things on people, but I'm always happy to share our experiences and what we've learned. Please feel free to share my blog address, my email (julie0674@yahoo.com) and FB page info (but tell them to mention why they are contacting me or I may decline!)
Finally, here is a link to a youtube video of Dr. Stewart giving a lecture to parents about his background and the protocol. It is not great video quality, but definitely worth watching! (He also discusses the link of Autism to Alzheimer's a bit.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVIqaevFO_k
(Link attachment not working...you'll need to copy and paste, sorry!)
[Also the podcasts are working now! See sidebar for link.]
God bless you all! Please continue to pray for our little man!
Love,
Julie (and the boys!)
PS - We were able to stop in Alabama on the way home and saw some old friends from our days in Georgia! It was a great, if short visit! See sidebar for pics.



No comments:
Post a Comment