Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Chamber is HERE!

Hello, all!

We are excited! Dr. Linsk brought the hyperbaric chamber last night. Ben and Jeremy are in there now for Ben's first full treatment at home (he had one in the office a while ago.) They went in for a few minutes last night while Dr. L's demonstrated how to operate it. Ben fussed for just a minute until he realized he could watch Little Einsteins in there (thank you for the portable DVD player, Uncle Jeff!) He fussed a little longer today, maybe 5-10 minutes, but now is happily watching a video and playing with cars.

So, I'm sure some of you are wondering what they hyperbaric chamber does. In a very non-technical nutshell, it provides extra oxygen to the tissues in your body. Originally, it was meant for treating divers who sufaced too quickly (can't think of the term right now.) Now, it is being used (off-label) to treat many things such as strokes and brain injuries. There are quite a few sports stars that have them in their homes to help heal injuries faster. For individuals with autism, it helps improve blood flow in the brain, and the extra oxygen helps kill the "bugs" in the gut that don't belong. (I will attach a link in my link list below if you want more technical and accurate info!)

Ben is on antioxidants (in the form of a topical lotion and juice) to help prevent oxidative stress from the increased oxygen. Luckily, thanks to his ear tubes, he does not experience the ear popping discomfort Jeremy and I do while in the chamber (kind of like being on an airplane.)

So, we'll see what happens. We are renting the chamber for 4 weeks and are hoping to get over 40 treatments in (up to twice per day.) Each treatment is about 1 hour long. We are hoping and praying that Ben shows improvement from this. Dr. Linsk says that at least 50% of the children do show marked improvement (in his experience.) So, please pray with us that Ben will too!!

Well, if it works, I'm am attaching a video so you can see what it is like...

The treatment is about over, so I'm going to go help them get out!

Love to you all!
Julie


2 comments:

John and Alexis said...

Hi Girlie-you are amazing! Ben is so lucky to have parents that are willing to trying EVERYTHING to help him lead the best possible life. I can't wait to see the results. I will pray for him every evening! (For you as well!!) Love-Tammy

Jer, Julie & Ben said...

Thanks, Tammy! I'm so glad you posted!

I learned the hard way tonight why Dr. Linsk told us not to go in there with a sinus infection. I thought it would be ok, but it hurt really bad. I had to get out and Jeremy did the treatment with him. I pray that I'm better by tomorrow so he doesn't miss a treatment!

music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

blog design