Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Been a while...

Hello!

It's been a while, so I just thought I'd post an update. Nothing major really going on.

Ben's doing pretty well. We have him back on the compounded lotion and antivirals. I've tried a couple times now to add the mitochondrial supplement Dr. Stewart recommended, but both times it seems it didn't agree with him. I'm not sure if it is just something he'll need to get used to, or if he is reacting to something in the product. I have an email into the nurses to see what they think before I give him any more.

As I said, Ben is doing pretty well, but something seems a little off to me lately. He seems to be less responsive, his expressive language progress seems stalled, and he is getting tiny eczema-like patches all over his body (esp. on his face.) I'm not sure if this is just part of the healing process, or maybe an indication of something else. I mentioned it all in my email to the nurses, so we'll see what they say.

On a positive note, Ben now knows many of his numbers! He counts and expressively identifies them. This came very quickly for him! He is so proud of himself. :o)

A few weeks ago he started the "Perceptual Motor Development" program at the University. He LOVES it...even the time in the pool! He had very little hesitation on his first day there, and now it's his favorite thing. This is a big step for him as he used to be terrified of going in a pool. We are also having them work on Gross Motor and Balance skills with him, along with some fine motor stuff.

Overall, I have to say he is MUCH less anxious of new experiences. This is great, because he used to be so overly cautious of new things. He is also much more willing to try new foods, which has been great!

We continue to try to prepare him for his new brother or sister. We've showed him video and pictures of himself as a baby and he gets so excited. He will also kiss my belly once in a while and say "baby." But, when you ask him if he wants a baby brother or a sister, he says "no" and looks very concerned. So, we'll keep working on it. I know he'll evenutally adjust and it will be such a good thing for him.

Well, that's all I have for now. Our next appointment with Dr. Stewart is in April. Seems so far away, but I know it'll come fast!

Love,
Julie

1 comment:

lyndsay said...

Hi Julie, we are also on the NSA protocol. I was just wondering if Ben seeming a bit off to you might be related to the pool? We were told not to put Teagan in a pool due to the chlorine, bromide and other chemicals because it could be hard for him to expel them when absorbed. We were also told not to put our daughter in a pool (she is NT but with mild and mostly solved sensory issues). But we had to because she had a big fear of water and it was the last part of her therapy. When we told her Dr. we had to put her in a pool he told us to limit it to only as few lessons as she required and that we needed to give her a boost of glutathione and iodine to help her body regulate and rid the chemicals. We mentioned this to Dr. Taylor the last time we went in and he agreed whole heartedly. The chemicals in a pool can be difficult on the body, especially the thyroid. Just thought I'd share our experience and what we do to counteract the pool chemicals. Our daughter loves it now too and it's so hard to know we have to limit it. And that Teagan will never get to experience it :(

All the best to you and your family!

music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

blog design