Saturday, June 26, 2010

I'm back!

Hello! Not sure if anyone is left...it's been over two months since my last post! Well, I don't have the usual excuse for you this time. I didn't neglect to post because I've been busy (I have been, but that's not why!) I haven't posted because we have spent much of the last two much making some very difficult decisions as to our next steps in Ben's therapy and treatment. And, while I thought of posting many times, I (1) just didn't have it in me to hash over it all in a blog post, and (2) wanted to tell certain people in person what our decisions were before posting for all to see. But, now I'm ready. So, here we go!

First, we have decided to move Ben to another therapy program in the Fall. It's with great sadness that we leave CHIP after two years, but we are excited to have a new beginning at an AMAZING program, Capable Kids. This was a VERY difficult decision, but we think it is in Ben's best interest. Here are some of the reasons for our decision:

  1. CHIP offered Ben a 4 hour per day, 2-on-1 program for the Fall. While I think Ben would be fine doing his ABA with another child, we decided we'd like for him to have another year of intensive 1-on-1 therapy, which is what CK has to offer. (And, it will be 5 hours per day mostly 1-on-1 with some group activities.)
  2. CK take a slightly different approach than CHIP. They use something called VBA (Verbal Behavioral Analysis) as opposed to ABA (Applied Behavioral Analysis). It's similar but focuses more on expressive language. This is something Ben definitely needs!
  3. CK is going to try to bill our insurance. I will not rejoice until I have check in hand, but this could be big for us if it actually happens! The entire day at CK is considered Behavior Therapy which is something our insurance company supposedly covers...so we'll see...for now we still plan on doing fundraising to help with the cost.
  4. I think Ben is ready for a change. Most kids are in a classroom with the same teacher for about 9 months. Ben has been at CHIP (same "class", same "teachers") for 2 years without a break. I am excited to see how he does in a new atmosphere, with new therapists and new kids!
  5. CK's program changes with the kids' and their needs. CHIP does this to an extent, but because they are part of a bigger organization, it is not as easy for them to bend the program for each individual child. At CK, each child's program is unique to them. This could mean that they bring in typical kids for peer plays, or that an aide takes a child to another setting (typical daycare) to interact with children. They have even gotten their accreditation to teach children up to the second grade (instead of attending school) so that they could keep a couple children who were not ready to transition. Awesome!

A little more about CK: it is a wonderful place! It is housed in a wing of a brand new Christian church, not far from CHIP. There are about 12 kids or so in the program, and 12 permanent employees (CHIP relies on students to achieve their 1-on-1 ratio, not that it's a bad thing, just different.) Each child has a "team leader" who follows that child, and only that child. This person is responsible for following the child's data that is recorded to make sure he is learning and generalizing information appropriately. (Ex. if he is demonstrating a skill in 1-on-1 time, but not in group time, they will examine the situation and try to determine what programming changes need to be made.)

It's just such a wonderful, happy place. Three of Ben's CHIP friends have already started the summer program at CK and all LOVE it!! So, we are excited for Ben to start in the Fall. Incidentally, we were offered a spot in the summer program, but decided against it. We just thought it would be nice to have a light therapy schedule for a couple months. This will allow for more much needed family time!! (Jeremy is finished with school until fall! YAY!)

Ben is still in summer camp (2x per week at Rehab Dynamics) again this year. He LOVES it. And, I am so pleased to say that the staff has noticed big changes in him since last year. They are thrilled that he takes part in almost every activity they do now, with very little coaxing!

All that being said, we still LOVE the therapists at CHIP and plan to continue at least OT and ST there on an out-patient basis. We also plan to continue speech at the University in the Fall.

Still, I just can't believe...three days left at CHIP (in the full program)! Crazy! I fear I'm gonna cry like a baby on Wednesday!

Ok, on to the next thing. I'm not even sure if I've mentioned this before, but we are GOING TO TEXAS!! My sister, Noah, Ben and I...we leave a week from today! We are going to take Ben to a specialist (ENT/Neurologist.) My sister heard about him from a speaker at a seminar she went to. This speaker guy took his daughter to this doctor (Dr. Kendall Stewart) and she has made tremendous progress as a result. So, I researched Dr. S. and found that he has a very good reputation in the autism community. I also found that he takes our insurance! And, when I called to inquire about an appointment, they had only one left for the summer at the closer location (he is at two different TX offices.) That date happened to be the week after Ben will be finished with CHIP...meant to be?! So, off to TX we go! Please pray that Ben (and Noah) does well...it's going to be a long drive!

So, that's what's been weighing on our minds these last two months.

Aside from all that, Ben continues to progress every day. He is making a lot of new sounds now and tries SO HARD to form words. The speech apraxia just makes it so difficult for him (which is why we are stepping up the speech therapy in the fall...at the suggestion of his ENT who ruled out any structural problems in his mouth.) However, his receptive language has come SO FAR, and he is happy and engaged almost all of the time now. Very little "zoning out" and solitary stimming. He has been so much fun lately. We've really been enjoying him!

Oh, and another BIG thing...he is now, yes, I think I'll venture to say it, he is POTTY TRAINED!! He just started this week wearing undies at night...that was the last step. He hadn't had a night accident in a long, long time, but wearing a diaper to bed was a routine issue for him. I finally convinced him just to wear his undies...so far so good!

Well, I have to go give the little monkey a bath. He and Noah spent all day outside in the pool and running through the sprinkler. (See picture above.) More pics at: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2070094&id=1440075624&l=e79e9de087

Hope everyone is well! I will post when I get back from Texas!!

Love,

Julie (and Jer & Ben too)

2 comments:

Colleen Errington said...

Love the update Julie. I'm so proud of you guys doing what you really feel is best for Ben. You're such wonderful and loving parents. YOU are going to make these changes and new endeavors wonderful. Lots of love and enjoy your trip!!
Colleen E.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear all about your adventure to Texas!!! You and Jeremy are amazing and Ben is so blessed to have you as his parents.
Love ya! Tammy

music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

blog design