Saturday, November 14, 2009

Yeasty boy?

Hello, all!!

Well, we've had a bit of a stumble in the road lately. Nothing majorly bad, but Ben has not been himself since he was sick. He is even more stimmy, very sensory sensitive, and not sleeping well (up at 4:30 yesterday!) We've also had some big meltdowns over small things...haven't had that in a long time. My feeling is that his gut issues were aggravated by (1) the greater than usual amount of sugar he consumed in the week between his birthday and Halloween, and (2) being sick and on antibiotics. Just a guess though...

The changes have also been noticed by others...namely his OT at CHIP and Dr. Steppe (osteopath sent from GOD!) The good news, is that we've come up with a game plan. Patty the OT is going to increase the sensory inputs he recieves at school, restart therapeutic listening, and begin cranial techniques on him. Dr. Steppe asked that we come back to see her in two weeks, rather that our usual 6. She does cranial and other techniques on him as well. She said that he was very tense, and we did notice some improvement after leaving there yesterday. I love Dr. Steppe...have I said that?? :o) Finally, at a Behavioral class I attended at CHIP Thursday evening, Heidi (Behavioral consultant) gave me many ideas on how to reduce the stimming and handle the meltdowns. I will follow up with her soon regarding specific issues we've had. She is just wonderful!

I've also scheduled an appointment with Dr. Linsk so we can run labs and see what it going on with the little guy internally. In addition, we want to have heavy metal testing done.

Like I said though, it hasn't been all bad. He is back to eating lots of different foods (lost his appetite when he was sick), he is doing really well with his student speech therapist at UT, and he has been trying to talk more...and getting closer with his approximations of words. And, the meltdowns have afforded us and opportunity to work on self-calming techniques with him (and given me an opportunity for self growth by maintaining calm during these difficult times!)

So, that is where we are now. Just thought I'd give an update. I must go now and cut the little monkey's hair!

Love to all!!!

Julie

1 comment:

Colleen Errington said...

Thinking of you guys. Hope things level out soon!

music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

blog design