Hello, everyone.
Well, I'm not sure if the online parent groups are helping me or making me crazy...probably a little of both!
We discovered that the nitrous oxide (laughing gas...not so funny) used for the ear tube surgery may not be good for our sensitive little guy. Our doc told us that it depletes B12 and suggested we give Ben B12 shots (which he's wanted us to do for a while, supposed to boost language.) We got a shot at our last appointment to try it out. Ben was very chatty, but very hyper afterward. I guess those effects go away after the body adjusts to it. We'll see. I'm not thrilled at the idea of giving him shots every 3 days.
Our other option is to ask the anesthesiologist to use another gas. I got some suggestions from parents as to which gases are "safe", but I'm not sure how comfortable I am with that...I'm not a doctor afterall!
It's just all so much to keep up with, and sometimes I'm not sure I believe in it all. The biomedical treatments for kids with autism are very complicated and very controversial. We are trying to walk the line and not go off the deep end in either direction. I think it is easy to get carried away with this stuff. What parents will do to save their child...
I'm still not sure about the LDN. We are holding off for now, at least until after the surgery, not sure if I mentioned that in the last post. I think I may try it myself before giving it to Ben. I've done that with most of this stuff thus far.
Well, all we can do is pray for guidance and clarity.
Tonight is the CHIP open house, so we will get to see the facility in its completed state! I'm looking forward to that!! Unfortunately, Jer has to work, but he is going to go visit Friday.
Well, little man is hungry...got to go make waffles!!
Love to you all!
Julie and the Boys



1 comment:
HI sweet Julie,
I certainly share in your concerns.
We can suggest which route to take,
but you have to make the decision.
The gut feeling that only parents have for their child will kick in.
I'll continue to pray for you.
Looking forward to seeing you Sat.
I love you all,
Mom
Post a Comment